A common question homeowners ask is “Should my dryer vent be cleaned?”
Yes! It is important to have dryer vents cleaned out on a regular basis.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss.
Home fires that involved clothes dryers or washers each year. In USA, there have been 700 of these incidents. In the past 10 years, there have been 700 such incidents in USA. The USFA states that:
- Failure to clean clothes dryers is the main factor that causes dryer fires. This accounts for one-third (33%) of dryer fires.
What was the last time your dryer vent was checked for excessive lint and made sure it wasn’t prone to a fire if it did? Many people don’t realize how important it is to clean vents and lint traps frequently until it’s too late. That’s why Healthy Carpets offers dryer vent cleaning all year round.
The USA fire code states that you must clean out your lint trap after each use. After each use, you must clean out the lint trap. You should actually check the lint trap every time you put a load of laundry into the machine.
It is also a good idea to turn off dryers before you leave the house or go to bed. You should never use dryers without a lint filter, and avoid overloading them.
Here are some signs that your dryer vent needs cleaning
- Clothes dry faster — You can determine how long your dryer should take to complete its task. It’s possible that your dryer vent is blocked if it takes longer than normal.
- A burning smell — Does a burning smell indicate anything? You might notice a burning smell coming from your dryer’s vent.
- There is debris around the dryer vent. The dryer vent is designed to expel air, not debris. If your dryer vent is leaking lint or laundry debris, it is likely that your dryer vent has become blocked. Get rid of it as soon as possible!
- Hot dryer – Don’t ignore a dryer that becomes hot to your touch This could be the first sign that there is a bigger problem.
- It’s hard to remember when it was last cleaned. To avoid dryer vent fires, clean your system each year. It’s important to clean your dryer vent system every year if you don’t remember what you did the last time.
Dryer Vent Fires Can Be Prevented
It is easy to prevent dryer vent fires by keeping your vent system clear. These are the main ways homeowners can prevent dryer vents from getting clogged.
- Clean your dryer’s linttrap every time — The dryer’s Lint Trap prevents laundry debris from getting into the exhaust tube. If your lint trap gets too full, it won’t be able to do its job. To slow down the rate at which your vent becomes clogged, keep your linttrap clean. Include cleaning your lint trap in your laundry routine.
- Clear your dryer vent every year — A clogged dryer vent can lead to dryer fires. You can hire a professional to do the job or you can do it yourself.
Tools To Get The Facts Of The Dryer Vent
Healthy Carpets is one of the only companies in Ann Arbor that actually uses a Anemometer to get measure the true air movement to determined the efficiently of the cloths dryer before and after the cleaning. The video above demonstrates how we use the Anemometer to get the true answer if your Dryer Vent is clawed.
Healthy Carpets is a carpet and upholstery cleaning company. However, we are much more than that. Dryer vent cleaning is another service we offer.
We can help you and your family stay safe. We will clean your dryer vent from the outside to standard for a small fee. This will help to ensure that you don’t get burned by a dryer that wasn’t cleaned.
Call Healthy Carpets today to get your dryer vent cleaned and for any other cleaning needs you may have. You can trust us every time because we are your friendly local cleaning company.
Healthy Carpet Cleaning is a Lower Michigan company that has been around since 2005.
Homeowners and business owners have trusted Healthy Carpets to take care of all their special cleaning needs. We are known for being the first company in the industry to offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. This founding principle has remained with us to this day. Over the past 20 years, we have served more than 20,000 homes and businesses in Michigan. We are proud to be leaders in this industry.
Visit healthycarpetsnow.com to learn more about Healthy Carpets and all our services we offer.